New Classes Announced

I’m pleased to announce that I’ll be returning again this year to Bainbridge Island Parks & Recreation to teach foraging classes. To see class descriptions, click here and scroll down to pages 35 -36 to “Bounty of the Land.” You can also find updated class listings (plus readings, lectures, and so on)  posted in the right column of this blog near the top, under the heading “Upcoming Events & Classes.”

Spring classes scheduled so far:

• March 28, Stinging Nettles: We’ll divide our time between the field and the kitchen, foraging tasty and nutritious stinging nettles and then preparing a delicious recipe.
  • April 7, Shellfish: Learn how to dig clams, shuck oysters, and cook a gourmet meal right on the beach.
  • May 7, Shellfish: Learn how to dig clams, shuck oysters, and cook a gourmet meal right on the beach.

Additionally, I’ll be offering my wild edible nature walk again this spring, an easy 3-hour ramble in a state park near Seattle. Stay tuned for dates.

9 thoughts on “New Classes Announced

1. the Outage

Love this! If you ever bring your expertise to the East Coast, I’d love to hit up one of your classes!

Are the courses timed to the best nettle and shellfish seasons? Or can you harvest these treats year-round?

2. Langdon Cook

Outage – Nettles in the Seattle area can be foraged as early as late January some years until July at higher elevation in the nearby foothills. Shellfish are mostly year-round, depending on the species and the beach. The classes are scheduled with timing in mind; shellfish dates coincide with good tides. I’m sure you could find someone offering similar classes on the East Coast. Good luck!

3. set

hey Lang; I’m trying to schedule a trip over to hoodcanal to eat some oysters on the beach. the place I want to go is either the duckabush or dose [cant remember which]. So if oysters are usually out past clams; what tide should I look for on the tables? Does it have to be a minus? if so I’ll have to bring a lantern.

Seth

4. The 3 Foragers

Our nettles on the east coast (Connecticut) are not ready until March or April. We did manage to freeze a few gallon bags of blanched nettles this year, and they are holding up just fine. Karen

5. Langdon Cook

Seth – Dose has plenty of oysters. It doesn’t have to be a minus tide, but a low tide for sure. Lots of manilas there too. It’s beautiful out there. Have fun!

Julia – Plenty of good foraging in Minn, though probably not shellfish 🙁

3 Foragers – Yes! Nettles freeze very well once blanched, as does nettle pesto.

PlateauGardener – Hope to see you at a class.

6. Michael Smith

Hey Langdon! Loved your book and am planning on catching your shellfish class but am curious if you will be offering a nettles class on a weekend or even a Monday or Friday? 3/28 is Wed? Just checking. Happy Eating.